18 December 2005

Update - Miscellaneous

A few notes on what I am watching;


- RIM is still having its legal problems. Earlier this month, I figured a target of $62 for RIM. With the courts ruling against RIM, I still maintain it will go lower ($1 billion settlement to NTP, and expensive licensing arrangement). Stay tuned.

- Stelco, well, what can be said about it. Shareholder value has been all but wiped out. With the new shares under the restructuring plan having a value of $5.50, steel prices softening in Q1, I don't expect big things from them.

- Dofasco hit the $64 mark...might be a good idea to take it now. Even though Arcelor is going to act or react sometime this year, going into the holidays and into the new year, I don't think there will be any surprises.

- Sony is still on my watch list - I can't help but think that it will be a bargain some time in the first 6 months of 2006.

- Nortel is being sluggish. No surprise there with the changes in management.

- Vincor, having defeated the Constellation takeover, still feels that Constellation's bid was oppurtunistic - I agree. Again, we'll see what happens with next quarter results.

- Laurentian Bank has been on my watch list for the last 3 months - steady gains over the last 4 weeks make it a good buy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also watching Nortel. I was wondering your opinion on buying options instead of the stock itself, considering you could control shares of it for as little as a nickel. Something I'm considering since we're